I could bore you with 9 years worth of stories about how it became a ritual for my husband and I to watch this show together (even when we lived far across the country from each other, we’d Skype it). Whenever I was sad, I’d watch this show and feel better. I worked on so many school projects with HIMYM on in the background. I’ve graduated high school and college while this show was on the air! But I’m not Ted Mosby- Architect (however we both did teach at Columbia- though in my case it was summer camp and not college). I’m Sam Varneke- Graphic Designer/Sometimes Writer. And I’m going to cut to the chase.
I modified this recipe from
Makes about 45 cookies, so hopefully you get a large group of people over for your HIMYM Finale Party.
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ – 1 cup of dark chocolate chips
1. Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
2. Beat the butter, sugars, and peanut butter together at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat until blended.
3. Blend the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Place the cookie dough in the fridge for roughly one episode of HIMYM.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F. Shape and fold about 2 tbsp. dough around each Milk Dud. Place 3 inches apart on ungreased or parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
6. Bake for 13 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes.
Now go put these in R2 Sweet Tooth!
To have a real party, festoon your walls with an intervention banner and put “Let’s Go to the Mall” on repeat while you prepare the other things you should have for your HIMYM Party:
2. Not three, not four, but five different kinds of sturdy, cheese-bearing crackers
3. Goat cheese (because you wouldn’t want a goat in your apartment or house- you saw what happened to Ted)
4. Inexplicable pineapple
6. Scotch old enough to order its own scotch
8. Non-exploding meat ball subs (just don’t get marinara sauce on your tie!)
9. Tim Horton’s Coffee (You can get K-Cups or grounds on Amazon.com!
10. A Tur-tur-key-key (please don’t make this. It’s wrong)
11. A big fat sandwich (but hopefully not laced with hard meats)
12. Gouda (seriously guys, tick tock goes the gouda clock)
I’m really going to miss this show. Thank you for 9 years of great entertainment, HIMYM.