Brett & I went apple picking the other day at Styer Orchard and had a blast. Before we went, we decided on making a delicious dessert out the apples we picked! So, we chose Caramel Apple Strata from Taste of Home Magazine! Why not?
We altered the recipe a bit because of my inability to drink milk. Nope, I never will get over the fact that I cannot have dairy, chocolate, ice cream or pizza– carbs! Follow this recipe below and you WON’T be sorry. I promise!
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter cut in cubes
- 3 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 8 slices of Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Bread
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened and then set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon. Arrange 8 slices in a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. Spoon apples over bread; drizzle with the caramel sauce and then sprinkle with pecans
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, coconut milk, salt and vanilla. Pour over top.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
This dessert tasted divine. The apples weren’t too hard, the bread was moist and the pecans and caramel added it the sweet and savory taste! Talk about yum city!
Try your hand at baking today! Until next time…